This post may contain affiliate links. This means we get a small commission for all our recommendations at no extra cost to you.
If you took a poll, most people would say their mom is the most important person in their life. Getting a perfect gift for her birthday can be complex. Either you don’t know what to get her or perhaps it’s too expensive. Even greeting cards can get expensive these days.
Nothing shows love like a homemade birthday card for her special day. Putting all your effort into a DIY greeting card will show that you put in the extra mile to make your mom’s birthday special. And no, you don’t have to be five years old to make a beautiful card. You can always add a gift certificate inside but the real gift is really a handmade card.
If this is a belated birthday card, I promise you she will forget that it’s late and appreciate the beautiful design.
PIN FOR LATER!
Parts of a Handmade Card
There are three parts to a handmade card that you should focus on.
- Front Cover Design – The cover of the card will be the first impression so this is the part that has the most design. Make it good!
- Special Message – Mom will love the design but the message you write in it will make her heart melt. You can either write your own greeting or other ideas online.
- Envelope/Wrapping – Finally, how you wrap up the card is also important so it protects your design. You can either get an envelope or make your own cover. You can also use a simple ribbon like a gift.
Homemade Card Tips & Tricks
- Homemade card ideas can easily be turned into the perfect card for mom simply by changing the colors. So don’t get caught up on the idea that it may look more for males.
- Use what you have! This is the perfect excuse to use all that scrap paper you have lying around that you don’t really want to throw out.
- Think about your mother’s interests and use that to personalize the message. Does she like that spa? Cut out a photo of a beautiful spa from a magazine and put it on the cover. Add a giftcard for a massage for a perfect spa day.
- If you are crafting with kids, make sure to keep them engaged. Let them pick out paint colors. The best paint for kids is acrylic paint because it doesn’t have odor and it dries fast. Play music to set the fun mood. If you need to take a breath, get a snack and then come back to it.
DIY Gift Ideas for Mom:
Materials You Can Use in a Handmade Birthday Card
You don’t need much to make a card. At the very least you simply need paper and something to write with. However, if you have materials laying around, you can really make a one of a kind card. Here are a list of materials you can use to create your design:
- Cardstock – The more colors the merrier!
- Scrapbook paper – Get different patterns, don’t be afraid to mix and match.
- Markers, pens, crayons – Get all sorts of different colors.
- Pom poms – These are great to add dimension to your card.
- Stickers – Literally any kind will do.
- Embellishments – These come in all shapes and sizes. Flowers are particularly great for mom.
- Letters – This way you can write best wishes for any occasion.
- Punches with different shapes
- Scissors with special edges
- Stamps – You can get special designs, monograms or letters.
- Pipe cleaners – If you have kids, these are great for any craft project.
- Photos – Use some old magazines or photos.
- Washi tape – This is the better way to decorate edges because it already comes with adhesive on the back.
- Leftover wrapping paper – Don’t throw those scraps away. You need very little paper for the design of the card.
Cute birthday puns are a great way to design the cover of your card. These will surely make the birthday person laugh.
- Loving you is a piece of cake.
- Let’s taco ’bout your birthday.
- For the record, you’re not old, you’re a classic.
- I hope you have a purr-fect birthday.
- Let’s make like candles on a birthday cake and get lit.
- Bird on the street is, it’s your birthday.
- I donut know what I would do without you.
- Have a grate birthday. Hope that’s not too cheesy.
Here are 19 adorable ideas for homemade gift cards you can put together TODAY!
Flower Themed Birthday Cards
The most obvious theme for mom would be flowers. There are so many ways to add flowers to a birthday card. You can print a photo, use a photo from a magazine, use fake embellishments, or use real dried flowers and petals! You can also easily turn these into Mother’s Day cards by adding this to the cover. Add unique details to the cards by using scissors with pretty edges or using hole punches to decorate the borders.
Here’s a beautiful card with real pressed flowers by Fluxing Well. All you need are dried flowers from your yard (she recommends pansies or violets), a glue stick, and cardstock.
This bouquet of flowers made from pipe cleaners are great for kids to make for mom or grandma. Simply have your child roll up the pipe cleaners into circles. The green pipe cleaners will serve as the stem. Then create a pretty vase with patterned scrap paper. Check out all the details at kidsactivitiesblog.com.
You Will Also Love: A Pick-Up Truck Picnic: The Ultimate Date Night Idea
DIY Birthday Cake and Candles
Check out this cute little cupcake card from Easy Crafts for Kids. The key here is to cut the card in exactly these steps to make the form of the cake. Then decorate the rest of the card however you want.
Have a few cupcake liners? Check out Kids Activities Blog’s version of a beautiful birthday cupcake with candles. Cut the cupcake liners in half so that they pop out. Then glue on actual birthday candles inside the cupcake liner.
Mom Will Also Love: DIY Bath Tray
DIY Birthday Cards with Photography
Magazines with pretty photos or family photos are a great way to make gorgeous cards. Pick the photos of your choice and cut them out with fun scissor edges. Glue the photo onto the center of the card stock and then add some detailed touches like a ribbon or corners. Here are some examples for nature lovers!
Patchwork Greeting Card For the Crafty Mom
If you have a crafty mom, she will really appreciate this particular card from Muse of the Morning. This is also a great way to use scrap fabric you may have laying around. This will require you to cut scraps of fabric into squares, sew them together and use them for the cover of your card. Check out the post for a step by step tutorial.
Mom Will Also Love: DIY Tutorial: Rustic Home Sweet Home Sign
Baby Foot & Handprint Card
Moms absolutely melt when it comes to baby crafts. Use baby’s prints for really sentimental birthday cards. We did this with Danny’s grandson Mateo. We painted his foot and made two different cards. First one creates a sun with a few footprints. Then add an “M” to both sides to spell out “MOM”. This is also a perfect way to celebrate mom on Mother’s day.
The second version uses a footprint to create a strawberry. All you have to add to this simple design is the message “I LOVE YOU BERRY MUCH”. You can also create these designs with the baby’s hand print. They will hang on to these cards forever!
Wine Lover Greeting Card
If mom loves wine, here’s a simple card design she will love. Using burgundy and green as colors, add a few layers of card stock and add “wine lover” to the cover. You can also add some pieces of cork to the front to add dimension.
This pom pom ice cream is the perfect birthday card for a summer birthday. All you have to have is patterned paper, brown paper (for the cone) and mini pom poms. Cut out a long triangle for the cone and then draw intersecting lines to form the cone pattern. Hot glue the pom poms to the top and that’s it!
You Will Also Love: Gorgeous Vintage Tea Time From Upcycled Items
Simple Birthday Greetings for Mom
Have you ever started your greeting with dear mom and then never knew what to write after it? This personal message can be really simple and even funny. The best thing to do is not over complicate it. Keep it simple. Here are ten of my favorite greetings for inside the card.
- Birthdays will come and birthdays will go, but my love for you will remain unshakable and forever expanding.
- Everything that’s awesome about me, I got from you.
- All of my crazy comes from you, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- No matter how old I get, you will always be my rock and the person I run to when I need a shoulder to lean on.
- Every time I do something right, I remember that it was you who taught me. There are no words with which I can thank you.
- You are better than all TV moms combined because you are my superstar.
- I don’t know how you do it all, Mom, but you do it all amazingly well.
- Even though we’re apart, Mom, you’re with me every day — in my thoughts, in my heart, and in the many ways I’m proud to be like you.